Saturday, September 11, 2010

Honeymoon in Boonville

Tiny Boonville, in the middle of California's Mendocino County, is not a typical honeymoon destination. But it seemed the natural place for ours, since Linda and I were here on our first vacation together three years ago, and discovered the endless possibilities of craft beer. And slightly more important, we discovered we had something pretty special going on. We came to this realization not because had "the perfect vacation", or one set of amazing experiences after another, but simply how effortlessly enjoyable the whole trip was.

Maybe I shouldn't be writing any "deep thoughts" about relationships. After all, I spent a few thousand bucks and countless hours with a really good therapist during the break up of my first marriage to discover the "profound truth" that seeking out women whom I didn't anything in common with was not a particularly good idea.

Breaking down difficult barriers, taking on seemingly insurmountable challenges, and constantly testing your limits on an almost daily basis to reach fleeting goals, is what running, at least to me, is all about, and has served me well. But trust me, you don't want to be taking on challenges in your close personal relationships, nor be overcoming barriers with people close to you all the time. Life tried to teach me that lesson over and over again, and it took a few hard falls along the way to finally get it.

People ask how married life is treating me. It's very comfortable.

1 comment:

  1. Great post, Derrick. Congratulations! Wishing you nothing but the best in married life.

    ReplyDelete