Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Is Anderson Valley's Hightway 128 Gose Better with Blood Orange?


One of my favorite new beers this year was Anderson Valley's Highway 128 Gose, a nifty session beer (4.0-4.5% abv) with a slightly bracing sour tang, some lemon citrus character and a pronounced salty finish.  (OK, its real name is
"The Kimmie, The Ying and The Holy Gose" but most people I know call it Highway 128 Gose.)  It's a little hard to find around here so I pick up a six-pack nearly every time I see it.  Now Anderson Valley has added some tangy blood orange to the mix.  Does it work?

This version isn't quite as bracing in its sourness, more fruity, the saltiness doesn't come through as much.  The flavors are little more complex, but each component is a little more muddled.    Is it better?  I keep leaning one way or another but never make up my mind which one I like more.  What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment